Thursday, January 28, 2021

Television Programming

 Television Programming.  Interesting phrase.  Are we being programmed? I think so.  Recently, in this weird season of no new tv shows, I have been going back in time and watching some oldies.  I have made some disturbing observations about how tv has been shaping how we see the world. I've been spotting patterns across all the shows that are not actually true, but can seem true since "everyone" is portraying the same "facts." There are always rare exceptions, but I'm going to simply relay the patterns I've noticed. 

No sex after marriage.  It seems that every married guy talking to his single friends makes the claim that he doesn't have sex anymore since he's gotten married.  Is this true?  I'm pretty sure my married friends are all having sex still.  I feel that this "programming" is intended to destroy the man's desire for marriage.  It will push men further from wanting to participate in this foundational institution of society.  Kids growing up without a father in the home is basically the number one reason behind so many disfunctions in our society.  It is vital to have two parents.  Men who shun the idea of marriage, but still strive for sexual relationships are going to create more broken kids growing up with single parents.  

Men/Fathers are idiots. Dan Conner (Roseanne), Carl Winslow (Family Matters),... They seem to be good hard working men who are present in the home and good providers for their families, yet they get treated with contempt. Their wives seem to not respect them and that is passed on to the children.  I think this is another attack on marriage, this time directed at both sexes.  Why would a good man want to be treated like that?  Why would a woman want a man she doesn't respect?  Is that what marriage is supposed to be like?  

Parents are idiots. I lived with my sister and her kids when they were tweens, so I saw plenty of Disney channel shows.  I was disturbed by the representation of parents.  The kids showed no respect.  They didn't take their parents' advice seriously and usually there were no consequences to disobeying.  These shows aimed at kids showed young kids getting an idea and carrying it out, sometimes an idea so crazy it involved getting on an airplane without adults and going off on some mission.  Is that really what you want your children learning?  The one exception was Hannah Montana oddly enough.  She would often go against her father's advice, but when it wouldn't work out, she'd return to him and acknowledge that he was right.  If they all did that, I wouldn't be so concerned about the behavior.  We all know that kids will make bad choices, but if we don't show the negative consequences, they won't learn and grow.  I also noticed this in Harry Potter.  Kids constantly acting as if adults can't be trusted, we must take care of these problems ourselves.  They'd break all the rules, fight the monster, win, and get rewarded for it.  Another lesson I wouldn't be teaching children.  We want them to trust parents and teacher don't we?  We want them to know that adults are (usually) there to help and protect.  Kids don't know everything yet, contrary to their own delusional beliefs.  I would much rather they be shown examples of healthy relationships with the adults in their lives.  Show them they have so much to learn and seeking help from those further down the road is a good idea.  

Sheriffs are bumbling idiots. (I'm sensing another theme) I watch a lot of crime shows, so inevitably, at some point the star team ends up in some podunk country town and meets the local sheriff.  He or she is always portrayed as dumb and incompetent and the other agencies just run them over and take charge of the case because the sheriff has no idea what to do when an actual crime takes place.  I have just recently learned that in reality, the sheriff is elected by the people and is the highest law enforcement entity.  The sheriff is the one agency we can look to to protect us from an out of control government.  The others work for the state/federal governments.  The sheriff is the last line of defense for the people.

The supernatural is bogus. I think this one is ultimately the worst offense.  My favorite show ever is Castle.  He is always quick to jump to a supernatural explanation for a strange crime.  Aliens, mummies, zombies, vampires, demons, time travelers....  His cop partner always rolls her eyes and tells him "there's no such thing" and proceeds to find a natural explanation for everything. Russell Casse in Independence Day was mocked and ridiculed relentlessly for his assertion that he had been abducted by aliens.  Anyone who believes in the Christian God is either portrayed as a horrible person, or mocked for their outdated beliefs.  The idea is often put forward that religion was just a way for humans to explain their world and we have no need for it today because science can explain everything.  The single character I've seen that is a decent representation of a Christian is Shepherd Book from Firefly.  Every other one is molding the public perception to think Christians are awful and stupid.  Anyone who believes in anything supernatural is a crazy person.  

I believe this last bit of programming is the most dangerous because of its eternal implications.  People watch tv.  They get their knowledge from the tv. How often do we stop to think about what messages we are being fed?  I currently attend a church that deals in supernatural spiritual warfare.  I've seen many instances of demons manifesting and making a person move in ways that are not normal, or speaking in a weird voice.  I've seen enough to make me a believer.  I've also heard plenty of stories of what others around me have witnessed.  Werewolves, vampires, shapeshifters and such.  Yeah, I had a hard time wrapping my head around that too.  Maybe because of the "programming."  So why is this a big deal?  What if you are someone who has had an alien abduction experience or seen demons in your bedroom at night?  You can't tell anyone.  You've been programmed to believe that no one will believe you, you'll be laughed at, or maybe even locked in the asylum.  How will you ever get help?  There are people out there being tormented by demonic entities and they don't know how to make it stop.  I started talking at work about what I was learning at church and it was amazing how many of my coworkers approached me privately to share their own personal experiences.  It made me sad.  There are hurting people that are scared to speak.  

God is real, demons are real.  The tv is channeling deception into the minds of the world.  How do we break free?  We have to wake up and put serious thought into what we believe.  I would suggest starting with the Bible.  God's word will wash your brain out.  Also just look around you.  Pay attention to what is happening around you compared to what your tv is telling you is happening.  Talk to people.  Ask them if they've ever had any really weird experiences and then listen without mocking.  Have an open mind to hear about what other people think and what they've been through.  I think it will surprise you.  People are quite interesting and each is a unique gem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment