Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Dancing --> Love

I just wanted to say something, not really deep or anything, but I wanted to say it.  I love Dancing With the Stars.  :)  Normally I don't watch any reality shows, but this one I've watched pretty consistently since the 3rd season.  So many people complain about different parts of it, but I just wanted to write about why I think it is beautiful.

Sure, some of these people have some dance experience, but not specifically in ballroom.  Every dance is different and they all have something to learn.  I'm sure some have a harder time than others each week.  Some say Derek always wins because they give him the best partners, but I say he's just a great teacher and great choreographer, and the girls vote for him.  But that isn't why I watch anyway.  I don't care about the logistics of the show.  

I love to watch the pairs grow together.  The pros are all wonderful teachers, adapting to each student and showing so much patience and encouragement.  We see two strangers fall in love. (and I don't mean romantically)  Whether it's the two young beautiful people that everyone is whispering about, wondering if they're becoming a real couple, or the older man with the 20 something dance partner that become like father and daughter, a really cool relationship is developing week by week.

It's not just the pairs either, we get to see how all the competitors love and support one another.  There's something that happens when you go through something difficult together.  You form a very tight bond.  I love seeing them cheer each other on, even though there is only one prize.  I see them tear up each week as the star who is going home is announced.  The respect and admiration and friendship among the stars and pros is so great!

Each star has a mountain to climb, and the pro is there to help them in any way they can.  I love to see the creative ways they work to achieve a goal each week.  Some of the stars have come with major disabilities and everyone wonders how they will dance.  There was the deaf girl who had to feel the music, stars in their 70s that have bad hips and knees, and this season a girl with 2 prosthetic legs!  They are inspiring beyond words.  How much can a person accomplish, is any mountain too high?  The pro partner is the coach, the teacher, the encourager, the cheerleader...  How far can one star go?

I don't care so much about the actual dance routine, though some of them are great fun.  I just love to watch love bloom.  Love is something our screens are greatly lacking in.  True love, that is.  Hollywood throws us so much crap and calls it love, but they rarely have a clue what love is.  Love is partnering together with a commitment to chase a prize together.  Love is supporting each other, encouraging each other, working together.  What I love about Dancing with the Stars is seeing TRUE LOVE in action.  I see two people that see each other sweaty, frustrated, angry, and worn out, and they still love.  No one ever bails because the other person fails.  They just pick back up and go back to work.  True partnership.  True love.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your thoughts on this subject. I've never watched the program, but the concept of love through struggle is important. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete